Pertussis (or whooping cough) is extremely contagious which is why it is so important to understand how you as a parent, can protect yourself and your child from this potentially fatal disease.
Here’s 5 ways to protect your child against whooping cough:
- Have a booster shot in the third trimester of your pregnancy to pass on antibodies to your unborn baby.
- Keep your baby away from anyone who is sick or has cold-like symptoms.
- Download a vaccine reminder App, such as VaxiMate, VacciDate or Save The Date to Vaccinate, so you don’t miss any vaccinations.
- Whooping cough vaccinations wear off – ensure friends and family who have frequent contact with your child are up to date with their booster shots.
- Talk to your GP if you have any concerns or questions.